Professional School Counseling (EdS)
Degree Program Overview
Expand your role as a school counselor and improve your efforts to help students through our EdS in Professional School Counseling focusing on "new vision" school counseling.
You will learn to go beyond traditional school counseling into areas including educational leadership, advocacy, team building, and the use of assessment data while earning a recommendation for advanced certification.
Program highlights include,
- Designed for certified school counselors who already hold a master's degree
- Offered only at the Gwinnett campus
- 15-month program from June to the following August
- Accommodates working professionals with flexible class schedules
- Results in recommendation for advanced certification in school counseling
Curriculum and Courses
You will learn to better help students from prekindergarten to grade 12 with academic success, career preparedness, and personal development through this EdS program grounded in the principles of the Transforming School Counseling Initiative and the American School Counselor Association's National Model.
The coursework features advanced specialty classes in:
- School counseling
- Cross-cultural counseling
- Counseling supervision
- Legal and ethical issues
You will also complete an advanced internship, which can be conducted at your workplace with approval from your district. As part of the internship you will construct a school profile, identifying major needs and designing interventions to address those needs.
As part of a cohort, you and your fellow students will complete 36 semester hours of coursework:
- First summer: 12 hours, including three classes and an applied research design project
- Fall: 3 hours comprised of an advanced internship
- Spring: 6 hours, including a second semester of advanced internship and a course in consultation
- Second summer: 12 hours, including three classes and completion of the applied research project
- One 3-hour elective, typically taken during the fall semester
Click here for tuition rates per program.
Applicants must have a master's degree and hold initial certification in school counseling. Apply here.
Click here for a list of faculty members.
Click here to get in contact with this program.